- Diagnosed with severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) measuring between 35-45
- Between the ages of 18-65 years
- Stable medical condition
- Willing to receive either CPAP therapy or Bariatric Surgery
What is involved in participating in the ABC Trial?
- At least two overnight visits in a clinical research unit – once before and once after treatment.
- An overnight sleep study; some blood tests and other tests related to your health
- Clinical follow-up visits and telephone calls by the research staff
What are the Benefits? See what participants are saying…
- Treatment for your sleep apnea, either through a CPAP device or bariatric surgery
- General health information about your sleep and your sleep patterns
- A year of healthy lifestyle counseling – education, assistance improving diet, exercise and sleep
- Payments of $300 + parking for each of the two overnight clinical research visits
I meet the eligibility criteria, now what?
If you meet the eligibility criteria and would like to be a part of the ABC study, please contact one of our research assistants to schedule a screening visit.
At this visit you will learn more about ABC and meet with a sleep doctor and bariatric surgeon to understand the two treatment arms and how participating can benefit you!
Participation is entirely voluntary. Whether you participate or not will have no effect on the medical care you receive at either Brigham and Women’s Hospital or Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Contact info can be found on the ABC brochure.